Friday, February 15, 2008

New encaustic paintings...

I finally dug in my heels and pulled out all of the encaustic supplies I purchased last year. I did one painting about a year ago, it went well, and gave me new appreciation for encaustic painters.
My first attempt was small and basic, but I liked it and good friends of mine liked it so well it now hangs in their home! I love that! Here it is.. "Memory Chest" 12 " x 12" on birch panel.


So that was the first "true" encaustic I have done.. I use beeswax all the time in my work but always alone, and more as a texture and resist method and also a tool to use for my text. So it was very different to be using pigmented wax and a blow torch!
Recently I pulled it out again and have been finding that it really works well with my new studio schedule, as I can feel as if I am accomplishing something "bigger" in a small time period. Here are "Preservation Places" (first image) , and "How to Tie a......" (second image). Both are 12' x 12" on birch panel, and they are for sale in my etsy shop... ( link to right).

I love the surface of encaustics. the wax hardens to such a smooth and seductive finish.
I really want to work more in this medium, so I signed up to attend the second annual
Monserrat Encaustic Conference this June in Boston. I am really excited to go and learn as much as I can...This year at the annual Plaza Art Fair, here in Kansas City, we made the purchase of a wonderful painting (click on #5 Treasured Sightings) by Cheryl Toh.
It is a gorgeous encaustic work tha hangs proudly in our house! So the year really has lead to encaustics.. wierd how that happens sometimes artistically..

Well, on another note, I was selected to be a particpant this year in the Creative Capital Workshop, that is being held here in Kansas City. It is the second year of a three year grant for this program to be offered to KC artists and I am so thrilled to have been selected this year. I know some of the artists that participated lst year and their praise of the workshop was high. te workshop focuses on marketing yourself and your artwork to the art community, grant writing , etc. I will be sure to fill you in after the retreat weekend in March!

Well, that is all for now.. off to put the wee one's to bed..

No comments: